Thursday, April 14, 2011

More Beethoven

Update: I am sorry to say that because of my recent surgery, I've had to postpone this recital indefinitely. We will still be giving it in the late summer or early fall. Stay tuned for details; I look forward to seeing you there.

I've been laying it on kind of heavy with the POVs lately, so I'm indulging myself by doing something that a lot of other bloggers can't. :-) Here's the second movement of the Beethoven sonata whose first movement I posted in March. (There are only two, if you're wondering.)

My performance of this is a work in progress. As you can see, I don't have it memorized, and I still flubbed a few things even on Take 2 this morning. I take consolation in the fact that the great Beethoven pianist Artur Schnabel told his son Karl Ulrich shortly before he died that he had finally managed to play the conclusion of this movement so it made sense to him. That's a pretty high bar.

Anyway, I'm posting this now because I will be giving a little joint recital with my son Jeremy on Sunday, June 5. Jeremy will be traveling to the United Kingdom - all parts of it - this summer as a People to People Student Ambassador. This is a wonderful opportunity for him, but it costs a lot of money. That's why we'll be passing around the hat afterward. I'll be playing this sonata and some Chopin. Jeremy will be playing a movement of a Haydn sonata and Ginastera's Rondo on Argentine Children's Folk Tunes. He'll also be singing songs by Schubert and Donaudy, which I will accompany.

It will be a true joint performance, and if you live in the area, we'd love to see you there.

St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church
800 New Road
Waco, TX
Sunday, June 5
4:00

No comments:

Post a Comment